Editing Estimate

Subject: Editing Estimate
From: Kathryn J Acciari <acciari -at- ACSU -dot- BUFFALO -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 19:54:13 -0500

Hi all,

This is the first request for input that I've posted to the list. I hope
you can help me.

I have been asked to estimate a price for what I would charge for the
editing of a software manual. The manual (and the software) is undergoing
rewriting, and my client expects it to be two to three times its current
size (50 pages).

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to estimate a price for such a
project? I typically bill either by the hour or page, depending on the
job. This is my first editing job, though, and I am not sure whether I
should base my estimate on my usual hourly rate or use a different
approach. As the 'editor', I am expected to:

- establish a style guide for the writing team
- outline the TOC and the order in which chapters should appear
- identify software functions that need more instruction
- proofread, check grammar
- in general, supervise the entire writing and production process

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. If I get lots of feedback, I'll
summarize in a single posting.

TIA and Happy Holidays,

Kathryn J Acciari
Technical Writer/Communicator
Buffalo, New York
acciari -at- acsu -dot- buffalo -dot- edu