Re: FWD: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re: FWD: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:05:39 -0600

Wendy Putman wrote:
> I'm finding it refreshing that our profession is getting any
> publicity at all. What readers will actually remember from the article
> after a week is the vague concept that technical writers make things
> clearer. The particulars will stick in the minds of about, oh, a dozen
> readers?

Well, let's see... I just got back from lunch, so it's been at least an
hour since I read the article, and here's what I remember: Technical
writers are bad -- what they write is long, boring, and hard to
understand. Especially if they've been doing it for 10-15 years. You
should get a poet, or anybody with a liberal arts degree, to rewrite
what they do into "real English."

I seriously doubt this will cause any damage to our profession, but I
certainly don't see how it's going to help us. There *is* such a thing
as bad publicity.

Tracy
who has a liberal arts degree but is not a poet

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm