Re: FWD: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re: FWD: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: Wendy Putman <wputman -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:51:25 -0800

I'm finding it interesting how defensive everyone is getting ...
if I were running a company, I'd *kill* for PR like this. And if the
journalist who wrote up the piece took some liberties ... it's already
in print. I once spent a weekend convincing my mother, who had just
gotten some publicity about her clothing store, that the store down the
street wasn't "out to get her" because they started up a marketing
campaign and got some publicity, too.

I'm finding it refreshing that our profession is getting any
publicity at all. What readers will actually remember from the article
after a week is the vague concept that technical writers make things
clearer. The particulars will stick in the minds of about, oh, a dozen
readers?

> > I'm not saying that this is never the technical writer's fault. I
> > know it frequently is. But I, for one, am NOT taking the fall for
> > this. I used to love this profession. I don't need some 23 year old
> > "poet" with a superiority complex to tell me how to do my job. I
> need
> > the busybodies to get the hell out of my way and let me do it.
>
> I wish you would send this to the Washington Post.

Wendy Putman, Technical Writer
Castleton Network Systems, Burnaby, BC
Tel: (604) 293-0039 / Internal: 722-5432
Email: wputman -at- castleton -dot- com