Re: Computer rights

Subject: Re: Computer rights
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:53:49 -0600

<Include standard not-a-lawyer disclaimer here>

I would like to get these projects published, but I've been told that
once you make something accessible on the Internet its already
considered published and therefore inappropriate to submit for
publication.

Nothing is "inappropriate to submit for publication" simply because of
publication history. Of course, when you submit material that has already
been published (and yes, on the Inet *is* published) you need to inform the
person you are submitting it to of the circumstances of previous
publication.

Now, some editors are only interested in first publication rights. Those
editors will refuse, one hopes politely. (It's possible that webcounter
data showing very few hits will affect this decision, but it's not very
likely.) And, even more hopefully, you yourself will have found out which
ones they are and avoid submitting to them. (Most editors are quite open
about "buys only first NA serialization rights" or whatever their policy
is. If it's not in the publication itself, ask.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224