Pricing for Manuals

Subject: Pricing for Manuals
From: Christine Stuver <cstuver -at- CAMBARSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:34:27 PST

Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before, but I can't do a search on the archives.

I am interested in how much other software companies charge for copies of their user documentation. We provide industry-specific business software to Fortune 1000 companies, not general-use software to the public at large. Our clients receive one printed copy of each user manual as part of their original contract, but we currently charge $200 for each additional copy and $1000 for providing soft copy.

We can justify charging the higher amount for the softcopy, since there is a potential for us to lose services revenue if our clients take the docs and update them themselves.

Is anyone else out there willing to share their price list with me? I am trying to justify this to my management board I want to see what other companies are doing. Thanks!

Christine Stuver
cstuver -at- cambarsoft -dot- com