Re: Interns@ $10 an hour

Subject: Re: Interns@ $10 an hour
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:05:45 -0800

Lynn Gold wrote:

> IMHO, it depends where you're paying $10/hour. Out here in Silicon Valley
> you'd be laughed out of existence for paying $10/hour.

Au contraire. Right here in Silicon Valley we've had a program of
hiring and training interns that paid $10/hour, and when we've announced
openings we've always had far more applicants than we could use. The
applicants understand that what they're getting for $10/hour is far more
than 'sit here and do the grunt work.' Under our program, interns learn
many, many marketable skills, work on real projects alongside more
experienced veterans, get to participate in creating new applications,
and get to go to trade shows at our expense and then participate in the
group debriefing afterwards. We're up front with our interns about the
ups and downs of business, but they know they can work their way out of
internship status and into raises by their own performance.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems