Re: Resumes

Subject: Re: Resumes
From: "John A. Newman" <johnn -at- OTG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:42:00 -0500

Lisa,

I was going to send this just to you, but I thought that others out there
might be able to benefit, too. The best resource I found while looking
for a new job in tech writing myself was "Rebecca Smith's eResumes and
Resources" at http://www.eresumes.com. This site has wonderful tutorials
including:

ASCII Résumés
HTMLRésumés
Web Résumés
Keyword Résumés
Scannable Résumés
Posting Résumés Online
Sending Cover Letters Electronically

One evening I just went ahead and downloaded all the tutorials and
printed them out and then went through them. It was a most valuable
exercise. You can check out my finished on-line product at
http://members.aol.com/janewman. It's simple, but I tend toward the
minimal and subtle (at least most of the time).

There are also some good tips at
http://www.jobweb.org/catapult/guenov/restips.html,
http://www.liglobal.com/b_c/career, http://www.taos.com/resumetips.html
and http://www.provenresumes.com. You'll probably find some of the
specific advise contradictory between some of the sites, but they give
you a lot to work with (please excuse ending the sentence with a
preposition, just be comforted that I knew what I was doing ;-)).
Good Luck!

John Newman
OTG Software
johnn -at- otgsoftware -dot- com