Frame/MSWord97 comparison ?

Subject: Frame/MSWord97 comparison ?
From: Fran Madera <Fran_Madera -at- WILLBROS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:09:57 -0600

Six months ago I convinced my manager that FrameMaker was the way to go with our in-house documentation. We have some very large manuals (450+ pages) and Word6 master doc feature did not work without much hair pulling. We bought Frame and I put in my request for training. Before it was appoved, my manager changed through reorganization & now I have to rejustify the use of Frame for our docs to my new manager. She has had Word 97 installed on my PC for my review. I have searched the Frame and TECHWR-L archives plus several other sources for FM and Word comparisons. These have been helpful; Word 97 has many of the features I wanted from the Frame program. But does 97 really work? I have converted a Word 6 file to both FM & Word 97 and both look good, but I don't have the time to convert the 450+page doc to check out graphics, TOC's, indexes, etc.

My questions:
1. Does anybody out there currently use Word 97 for large (450+ pages) docs w/ TOC, indexes, cross-references, heavy graphics (1-2 per page) and if yes, how is it working?
2. How does Word 97 handle autonumbering in steps with several levels: 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1? I know FM does it extremely well.
3. Is there a current Word 97/FrameMaker comparison available? (I have an old comparison between FM & Word 6.)

All help is greatly appreciated. I will summarize the answers for the lists.

Fran

Fran Madera
e-mail: fran_madera -at- willbros -dot- com
telephone: 918-748-7843
1-800-298-5633

Rings and jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
!