Re: Printers

Subject: Re: Printers
From: Don Timmerman <timmerman_at_ipd-tcs -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 08:25:39 -0600

Buck,

You can check out the Ziff Davis Publishing (they print all those computer
magazines) Web page for laser printer reviews. Their URL is
http://www5.zdnet.com/. I don't know how far back their archive goes. Also,
make sure the printer you buy prints at least 600 x 600 dpi (a higher resolution
would be better) if you plan on including photos in your newspaper. Less than
600 dpi res will provide unsatisfactory results for photos.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Sr. Tech Writer
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL (near Chicago)

Subject: Printers
Author: <writer -at- wf -dot- net > at ipdlink
Date: 12/7/97 3:41 AM

omigawd! Twice in two days I've needed advice from the group.

I've just purchased a small-town newspaper. Previous owner was still
pasting the paper on a giant light table, although she printed
everything through a Mac (at least she wasn't using a typewriter).

I want to go to full electronic printing. It will take a month or so to
make the transition because the contract printshop requires camera-ready
copy (not electronic). I'll change shops withing a couple of months.

Anyway, that all means that I'll need a large format (11x17) laser
printer. I know there are reviews out there for all this hardware, but
can anyone point me to a printer review page?

Also, what experience with this size printer has there been by members?

Many thanx

--

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- wf -dot- net