TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Walker (IMMPOWER Division) is seeking a full-time Technical Writer/Translator to join its Technical Communications Department in Birmingham, AL.
Primary responsibility includes translating IMMPOWER online Help, user documentation, and other documents from English to specified language and specified language to English. Individual will translate all aspects of the graphical user interface (GUI) such as labels, menus, and so on. Individual will learn industry and technical language to ensure translated material uses language appropriate and accurate for its intended audience. Individual will interact with customers to gain an understanding of the language the customer uses.
Other duties will include writing/developing/editing new online Help and user documentation (in English) and then translating to specified language as needed. This includes hardcopy and online (WinHelp, HTML) documentation.
Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, or related field).
- Fluency in Spanish language is a must. Fluency in languages such as French and Finnish is a plus.
- Minimum 1 year experience using DOS/Windows 3.1/Windows 95.
- Working knowledge of MS Word.
- Experience translating software documentation and technical documentation.
- Experience with HelpBreeze (or other Windows Help authoring tool) and Windows Help compiler a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft FrontPage and HTML a plus.
- Excellent editing, writing, and research skills.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work independently in fast-paced environment.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume to:
Manager of Technical Communications
3500 Blue Lake Drive
Birmingham, AL 35243
mowens -at- immpower -dot- com