Upgrading to Office 97

Subject: Upgrading to Office 97
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:29:04 -0500

>Hello all,
>
>I've been reading the archives about the "nightmares" associated with
>upgrading to Office 97. We may be upgraded soon, but I was going to try
>to delay this since people have had problems in RoboHELP files after the
>upgrade (and elsewhere) - I am going to deliver a RH project (v.4)
>Friday and I want to avoid any more problems!!
>
>If anybody else can pass along warnings/war stories about upgrading to
>Office 97 (or positive stories are welcome too) that would be very
>helpful. (I am on Windows/Office 95/Word 7.0).
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Kristen

Another denizen of this list told me that he upgraded to 97 and immediately
had problems with RoboHelp. I've upgraded to 97 only with trembling and
trepidation. One definite problem we've had has nothing to do with MS's
imbecilities, but with some clients being on 97 and others still on older
versions. Unlike the last few versions of Word that used the same file
format, 97 uses a different one. We now have to make sure we either supply
duplicates of some documents, or we keep track of who has which one so we
can supply the right format.

On the other hand, we work a lot with a local publisher that's pushing Word
and its VBA to an extreme. They don't seem to have any problems at all.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support