Days of the year

Subject: Days of the year
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:11:39 -0500

Hey, guys...

I'm editing some programmer documentation and I have something in the document that references days of the year in a similar fashion to Julain dates.

However, it references the days where the first day of the year is 1 and the last day of the year is 365 and when the year starts again, the number starts at one again. They get the number from the extension of the log file name created by the system.

The programmer insists on calling it a Julain date, but the way i understand Julian, it is numbered where 1 is, I believe, somewhere in the 15th century?

I've included a snip of the paragraph that refers to this dating process:

Example: Let's say today is January 13, 1997. The Julian date would be 013. Remove directories older than the 350th day of last year (173-348)

Is there official terminology for this style of dating?

Thanks

John Posada