Re: QUESTION: Converting Word files to html

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Converting Word files to html
From: eleavitt -at- SHIVA -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:38:20 -0500

Stephen,

We do this on a regular basis. We use SolutionSoft's WordToWeb. It will
get pretty close to what you want. The manual cleanup will mainly include
ordered lists. It really all depends on your souce material and how a
template is applied. I found with any Word to HTML conversion there will
ALWAYS be some manual clean-up.

It is worth looking into.

http://www.solutionsoft.com/

Good luck!
Emily Leavitt
Shiva Corporation

SRILEY -at- BCT-SYSTEMS -dot- CO -dot- UK on 11/24/97 03:36:40 PM

Please respond to SRILEY -at- BCT-SYSTEMS -dot- CO -dot- UK

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Emily Leavitt/Shiva Corporation)
Subject: QUESTION: Converting Word files to html

We have a large back catalogue of User Guides and Training Notes
for our company software in Word 7 format.
I want to convert these files to HTML and distribute them
on CD rather than paper, using Internet Explorer as the browser.
Does anyone have positive experiences of doing this in bulk?
I can't do it manually -- there aren't enough hours in the day.
All document are tightly structured with style sheets using maybe
6 - 8 main style tags. I'm hoping I can do much of the conversion
in batch and then fiddle to get the look and feel spot-on.
If I can get each document 90% right and hand craft the remaining
10%, that would be OK. If anyone has tips on making this as
painless as possible, I would be hugely grateful.
Stephen Riley
Publications Manager
BCT Business Systems Ltd
Phone: +44 (0)1925 732 325
Fax: +44 (0)1925 730 828
e-mail: sriley -at- bct-systems -dot- co -dot- uk

[Unused suggestions will be recycled. Useful suggestions may
well be repackaged during my Annual Review, in ways you had
not originally anticipated.]