Re: Specifications

Subject: Re: Specifications
From: "E. Gail Miedema" <egail -at- TELEPORT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:27:50 -0800

See the document template at

http://www.ics.hawaii.edu/%7Ejohnson/413/lectures/5.2.html

I have modified it to better meet the needs of our system, but I found it
a *very* useful design/development tool. That is, during the process of
filling in the blanks (no matter how redundant they seemed), there were
many issues and problems defined that may not have been encountered (and
resolved) as early on as they were. The process of writing the document,
the collaborative effort among marketing requirements people, engineers,
and tech writers, identified many areas that needed further analysis,
areas that were critical to the project.

I also suggest the following books as good references regarding the
requirements definition process:

Gause, Donald C. and Weinberg, Gerald M. __Exploring Requirements: Quality
Before Design__. New York: Dorset House, 1989.

Davis, Alan M. __Software Requirements: Objects, Functions, and States__.
New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1993.

Grady, Jeffrey O. __System Requirements Analysis__. New York: McGraw-Hill,
1993.

Each (especally the latter two) contains decent sections on documentation.

You may also try

http://www.deakin.edu.au/~malcolmc/scc205/topic1.html

Although this last page I haven't had the opportunity to read carefully,
so I can't really recommend it.

Finally, another source of references is at

http://mijuno.larc.nasa.gov/dfc/biblio/reqengBiblio.htm

Good luck!
--Gail