Research interviewing tips

Subject: Research interviewing tips
From: Julie Brown <julbrown -at- FLASH -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:36:29 -0800

Does anyone have tips or techniques for getting information out of
subject matter experts? I have discovered the hard way that interviewing
is a skill in itself, and now I'm looking for any techniques that might
help me conduct better research interviews (this is for my own work and
for a course paper). I realize that your advice will vary by the
situation and goal of the interview, but maybe you could let me know what
worked for you in what situation. Here are some ideas:

BEFORE THE INTERVIEW:
- How do you identify subject matter experts? Through management,
organizational charts, or
through interviewing workers themselves?

- Who do you interview most often -- engineers, programmers, management,
sales/marketing,
etc.?

- Do you usually know your interviewee prior to the interview?

- Why (specifically) do you conduct most interviews? (Ex: to gather
product information for a
user manual.)

- Do the experts readily agree to taking time for an interview? What do
you do if they're
reluctant?

- What kind of research do you do before an interview? How much? Do
you research the
interviewee before going in?

- Do you prepare a set of written questions before the interview? How
else do you prepare?

DURING THE INTERVIEW:
- Do you interview in person, in writing, on the phone, or by
videoconference?

- Do you try to interview one expert at a time, or conduct a group
session?

- How long do you schedule for the meeting?

- Where do you interview? In a noisy cubicle, in a conference room, at
lunch?

- How do you take notes? Do you use shorthand or a personal form of
shorthand?
Do you use a tape recorder? Do you share your notes with the
interviewee to clarify comments?
Do both of you draw on a board?

- Do you open the interview with friendly chat, or get right to the
point?

- What types of questions are effective? (open-ended, closed or narrow
question, yes-no, etc.)

- What types of listening responses are effective? Do you maintain an
awareness of body
language?

- What do you do if you just can't understand what the expert is talking
about?

- What do you do if the interviewee keeps getting off track?

AFTER THE INTERVIEW:
- Do you organize your notes/transcribe immediately, or wait a while, or
leave your notes as
they are?

GENERAL:
- What interviewing techniques have worked for you?

I'd really appreciate your advice! You can reply to me personally or to
the list, whichever you prefer. I will post a summary later.

Thanks again,

Julie Brown
julbrown -at- flash -dot- net
Univ. of North Texas student