SUMMARY: Generating PCL-friendly PDF

Subject: SUMMARY: Generating PCL-friendly PDF
From: Miark <miark -at- MIJENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:37:11 -0600

I wrote to both techwr-l and framers-l about my inability to generate PDFs
that would print as well on a PCL printer as it would a PS printer. The
problem was two-fold: printed graphics were blotchy, and I couldn't stop my
text from printing all the way to the right edge of the paper.

My graphics problem was remedied by converting all my original graphics to
Encapsulated PostScript (EPS). Thank God for PaintShop Pro's batch
conversion.

Likewise, my text problem was remedied by converting my TrueType fonts to
PostScript fonts (Type 1 fonts).

Seeing as this isn't supposed to be necessary, I'm rather PO'ed at the whole
Acrobat bit. But at least I know what's going on.

Special thanks to Michael Maffie, Bruce Byfield, Sonja Draeger, and Bruce
Foster.

Mike