Re: Questions re: previous salary

Subject: Re: Questions re: previous salary
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 11:38:32 -0500

In a message dated 97-11-21 14:52:47 EST, John writes:

<< To me, it's worth the agency's cut to find a job by sending out a
load of resumes by email and waiting for the calls. >>

As tends to happen here, we've wandered 15 degrees or so from the original
point.

The question was not about using an agency, giving a rate range or (the
already much discussed) percentage an agency should get. It was about
revealing *specific* rate or salary ranges on *previous* jobs.

For an agency you're already willing to work with to ask you for a rate range
is of course entirely reasonable. For them to demand certain specifics of
the last project(s) you've worked on is less so, to the degree that:

- they're gathering competitive information for their own purposes
- they're using you as a source of contact info
- they're trying to get rate information they would be unwilling on their
side to supply

You may not mind supplying some or all of the above, but you should be aware
that that's what they're doing, that they ask some questions because they can
get away with it (not because they actually have a right or need to) and that
the last item (should you provide it) may have far more impact on the rate
they offer you than whatever 'range' you cite.

Nobody by the way has addressed the far thornier issue of revealing previous
*salaries* when changing jobs. Rugged individualist that I am, even I don't
see any way (besides lying) around that.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
Currently available for contract/freelance work
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval