Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary

Subject: Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary
From: Walter Hanig <wdh -at- NETMANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:50:29 -0800

At 01:41 PM 11/20/97 -0500, Kathy Fisher wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm interested in what you think about recruiters and headhunters who ask
>what your salary or hourly rate was on your last assignment. Is it a fair
>and appropriate question?

Seems to me that it's a fair question. That doesn't mean you have to answer it. From the HH's perspective, he/she should have some idea of the client's budget and gets paid by them to filter/qualify candidates.

Your response can take many forms, depending on your objectives. You may have a "I can't work for less than X" price. If that's the case, say so. You may offer a range of rates, such as "I'd consider X per hour for short jobs and Y per hour (Y being less than X) for longer jobs or jobs where you're less qualified or want to broaden your knowledge or client base or portfolio or the job could lead to a permanent employee status -- if that's what you want.

Timing can also be important. I don't think price should be relevant unless there's a close enough match of your talents and a prospective client's needs.

Just my 2 cents...

Walter

Walter Hanig

NetManage, Inc.
12651 High Bluff Drive
San Diego, CA 92130, USA

Phone: 619-793-3173 FAX: 619-755-3998
e-mail: wdh -at- netmanage -dot- com wdhanig -at- connectnet -dot- com
Blood Type: O+