Case of Absent Admonishment

Subject: Case of Absent Admonishment
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 19:34:34 -0500

If I may bring the Tim said/Geoff said ( Tim Altom told
us <<... about Paladin Press being sued for ) back to a
TW perspective, how liable are we (writers) if a warning
(a caution even) is omitted from a manual and someone is
killed/injured or a major financial loss is incurred?
==
As a former newspaper editor, I know that LIBEL laws (at
least) vary by state. I also know the rule simply is:
don't even get THREATENED with a suit (unless you happen
to work for the LV Sun).
==
As a TW working with PEs*, I know a PE can lose a license
if a missing admonishment is blamed for an accident. I
SUSPECT this may vary by locale, but not certain.
==
** PE = Professional Engineer
==
As a CSR/TW/Training mgr. I was named in a suit because
I HELPED the person who sued me. (The suit was tossed out,
but it took our lawyer'$ involvement.)
==
So the question: aside from possible loss of job (boss has
no sense of humor cause we cost the firm $n,000s), what is
OUR (TW) liability in the Case of the Absent Admonishment ?

john glenn sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us