Word 7.0 - Full Text Search

Subject: Word 7.0 - Full Text Search
From: "Jacobson, Avi (PBD)" <Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- PBDIR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 08:34:25 -0800

In article <49E49A12F2BBD011838300805FEA4A4A5DAFD1 -at- d6400035 -dot- sbc -dot- com>,
"KLEIN, DAVID" <dk2445 -at- txmail -dot- sbc -dot- com> wrote:

> I just had a frustrating Word 7.0 episode (Hmmm, suprising).
>
> In the File|Open box I entered text in the Text or Property field and
> clicked Find Now.
>
> A list of documents appeared. I entered each of those documents and
> searched for the exact same text and there were no matches.
>
> Is this a known problem?
> Is this a TECHWR-L archive issue?
> Is it worth my time writing this question when I am weeks behind in my
> projects?
> Wouldn't I rather be home with my wife and baby?
> Why is there air? (Bill Cosby fans know the answer to this one)
>
> Thanks for your help sorting out my pre-midlife crisis.
>
> DSK
> David S. Klein
> Technical Writer - Amdocs-LD
>
> Phone: (972) 470-8207
> Fax: (972) 470-8300
> Pager (214) 814-5505
> e-mail: davidkl -at- amdocs -dot- com
> dk2445 -at- txmail -dot- sbc -dot- com

Hi, David. We can't go on meeting like this. (Sorry about the inside
joke, folks -- David and I work over a thousand miles from each other,
at two different local offices of the same company.)

When saving in quick-save mode, Word saves files by taking the old
version and incrementally tacking your changes on to it. This means
that if you had a 400-page file loaded with graphics, and made a few
small changes which you then quick-saved, it would only append the
changes to the end of the file. This cuts down on save time, but
inflates the file and makes it take a little longer to load.

It could be that the text you were looking for had indeed once been in
the files you searched through, but had been "deleted" in a quick-save
change, and that the "Find File" (a.k.a. Advanced FileOpen) process
simply located the deleted text -- since it hadn't really been deleted
from the file at all.

For example, if you use an Old Favorite letter you once wrote as the
starting point for most of your letters, and you always start writing a
letter by opening that file and "deleting" everything after "Dear", and
the original file began "Dear Ms. Alburquerque", then advanced FileOpen
is likely to find the word "Alburquerque" in most of your letters even
though it isn't really "there", anymore.

I don't know if they fixed this annoying little "feature" in Office 97
(which has its own problems), but if you think about it, it presents a
lot of security issues by placing text in files which you thought you
had eradicated.

Stay in touch,
Avi

--
Avi Jacobson, email: Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- pbdir -dot- com | When an idea is
or: AviJ -at- amdocs -dot- com | wanting, a word
| can always be found
Opinions are those of the poster, =NOT= of | to take its place.
Amdocs, Inc. or Pacific Bell Directory. | -- Goethe