tracking systems

Subject: tracking systems
From: Miki Magyar <MDM0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:31:53 -0700

Catherine Preuit asked for info on "a formal tracking system for logging and tracking issues related to our department."

What kind of 'issues', and why? The company I'm with now has a company-wide 'incident' tracking system on the intranet (Tracker), which is used to formally note something that needs attention. The incident can't be ignored, and ownership is assigned. I also have a simple form I use to log document change requests, so I can keep track of who wanted what done to which doc. Otherwise I'd be sure to forget something. Both work for their respective purposes.

I have observed that there is often a very fine line indeed between documentation for quality purposes and for CYA purposes.

Pax -
Miki (the well documented)
mikim -at- mcdata -dot- com
!