SUMMARY: Regarding the question, to allow or to not allow printing of PDF files?

Subject: SUMMARY: Regarding the question, to allow or to not allow printing of PDF files?
From: James Bauman <James -dot- Bauman -at- SAFETY-KLEEN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:58:13 -0500

From: James Bauman on 11/06/97 10:58 AM

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
cc:
Subject: SUMMARY: Regarding the question, to allow or to not allow
printing of PDF files?

On Oct. 30th, I posted the above question. The responses were
unanimous-----users, whoever they are, should have the option of printing
the online files. Some of the main points brought out by techwhirlers were
the following:

If users are prevented from printing, they will get frustrated and
make repeated attempts to do something they can't do. In the worse
case scenario as one respondent wrote, if printing is not allowed, "
you will only convince die-hard paper users not to read your
documentation at all."

It's a good idea to place a header upon the online documentation that
states in the hard copy, "Controlled Document----Uncontrolled when
Printed." Then users will see the paper version as one for
"reference" and the online version as the "authority."

The better the online manual is constructed and the more user-friendly
it is, the less likely some users will have the urge to print.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question.

Jim Bauman
IS Technical Publications
Safety-Kleen Corp.

mailto:jbauman -at- safety-kleen -dot- com