Choice about SF Bay Area TW Ed.Programs

Subject: Choice about SF Bay Area TW Ed.Programs
From: "Hillary M. Russak" <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 14:30:25 -0800

Hi folks,

I'm a professional Tech Writer at Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. I'm
preparing to return to school to complete my BA and I'm having difficulty
comparing my two options. If any of you are familiar with SJSU and SFSU
Technical Writing programs, I'd like to hear from you.

Since SJSU's program is an English Degree in Career Writing and SFSU's
program is actually a degree in Tech. Comm.(since '91), it's hard to
choose. SJSU is closer and more convenient to my home (in Menlo Park), but
it seems like the SFSU program may be more advanced, since there's a
specific degree program.

I must complete 3 gen-ed courses at the community-college-level before
fall, no matter where I go, so I'm currently planning to splurge the $110
and apply to both SFSU and SJSU (and decide where to go after I'm accepted).

Since I'm an adult (34) and have been professionally writing for more than
7 years, I want to be careful to choose a program structured for
experienced adults (if possible). Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
-hil
Hillary M. Russak
Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
Hazardous and Radioactive Waste Management
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu