Re: ? format for notes, cautions, warnings

Subject: Re: ? format for notes, cautions, warnings
From: Emru Townsend <emru -at- CORECO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:40:11 -0400

Just so. If they're all over the manual, then they lose their power as
warnings. Ditto on explaining what the different warnings mean.

Has anyone got any negative reaction to using these?

Emru Townsend
emru -at- coreco -dot- com

mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM on 11/05/97 04:02:19 PM

Please respond to mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Emru Townsend/Coreco Inc.)

At 12:46 PM 11/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I've seen a number of different ways to call attention to these notes, but
none that really make me happy. I would appreciate any samples you can send
me.

I'm a fan of shaded text and icons when used *sparingly* -- that is, I
don't throw them all over the manual and I keep them to a minimum: gray
side bars with a "helpful hand" icon for tips and reminders; indented gray
boxes (in Frame I use 1-celled tables) for extended hints or things too
long for a sidebar; and darker gray boxes across the page with a warning
icon (ok, I cheat and use a Zapf dingbat character) for things to really
pay attention to.

As I said, the important thing about using graphics like this is, to me, to
keep them simple and keep them to a minimum in the text. And of course
they're all explained in the 2-page Conventions section at the beginning.

Marie