FWD: More on misrepresentation

Subject: FWD: More on misrepresentation
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 06:25:00 -0700

Forwarded anonymously on request. Reason should be clear.
Eric
======================
<< The biggest risk a person should be aware of when using another
persons work (that well-written manual) is this: you may try to use
that sample some day to show to the person who actually wrote it.

If that person recognizes it, they may not let on that they know
where you got it and every word you utter about it being something
you did will convince the interviewer that you are dishonest, and in
their eyes, you will probably try to use other peoples work and try
to pass it off as yours again, on future projects. For this reason
alone, you may have eliminated yourself as a candidate for the job. >>
<<<<<
I once had occasion to judge nominees for an award given by a
professional organization. The award was not specifically for writing or
desktop publishing, but the application did ask for a list of
publications. One nominee, a desktop publisher in my office, listed
several publications as if this person had written them, when in fact
this person simply formatted them. They had all been written by writers
on our staff, including me. I didn't do anything about it, because the
person didn't win the award and because I had good reason to believe the
person's manager was involved. But it made me wonder what else this
person might be claiming to have done, and how far this person's manager
would have gone to back up those claims.

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com