USAGE: Therefore and Thus

Subject: USAGE: Therefore and Thus
From: Ron Sering CDS <ronaldse -at- MANX -dot- CDS -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:19:11 MST

I, too, hate the words. IMHO, "Thus," if you are writing for an international audience-especially if their native tongue is not a Romance language-should not be used at all, as it comes to us from the original Latin and may not be readily understood or translated. I have found that you can simply place your concluding statement at the very end of the explanation, without "Therefore" or "Thus" to frame it. If the explanation is very long and involved, you can split off the conclusion with a lower-level heading saying "Conclusion."

Thus, you eliminate the use of these overly-stuffy terms which therefore makes your work less grating and more accessible ;-)

- Ron Sering