Re: RoboHELP

Subject: Re: RoboHELP
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:50:41 -0700

At 02:24 PM 10/24/97 -0400, Kristen Lorenz asked about .hh files:

>* Why would RoboHELP's numbers for the help file affect our
>company's code for our product?

Well, it depends what you use your .hh file for. As I understand it, the
main purpose of the map file is to connect help topics with contexts in an
application. The number in the second column corresponds to a location at
which a help topic is supposed to be displayed. If your programmer changes
the context numbers in her software, it would seem that your .hh file would
have to change in response.

>* Could anyone suggest an arguement as to why we shouldn't change
>the numbers in our .hh file to match hers?

I'm not sure why it's important to you *not* to change your numbers. If
you use the numbers as the topic id's also, you can keep the same topic id
and just change the map numbers, or you can use aliases for the topic id's
that have to change.

In several of my help projects, the topic id and the map number are the
same--ten-digit numbers generated by the software to identify objects that
have help topics. When the software generated a skeleton help template, it
used those numbers for the id's and I decided it was easier to keep them
than to change several hundred entries. If the product changes, my numbers
have to coordinate with those changes so that the help topics continue to
appear correctly.

>* What would happen if we changed the numbers in the .hh file? Can
>we?

Depends how you use them. Not sure how to answer this one for sure.

Let us know what happens...

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
editrix -at- slip -dot- net / mjk -at- netcom -dot- com / mjk -at- synon -dot- com

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Rabbi Hillel