Re: Word to on-line or Frame to on-line

Subject: Re: Word to on-line or Frame to on-line
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:21:01 -0500

I'm in a similar situation and will be interested in the responses to
this message.

I have a couple questions, though....what is "large" and what is
"online" to you? For example, I've seen posters mention they have a
"large" document of 100 pages, where 500+ is large to me. Also, "online"
means an electronic document distributed on a CD (requiring PDF, other
viewers) or intranet (converted to HTML or viewable as PDF or
downloadable as <whatever>), versus online help (WinHelp or HTMLHelp).
Are we singing from the same sheet of music?

We have lots of options and I've been trying to work up a good
proposal/study in my spare time (which has been very scarce lately) to
present to our management. A couple people on the list have sent me some
good information, for which I am very grateful. I'm still mulling over
the possibilities, though.

I currently use Word for all my documents and online help in RoboHelp. I
have not yet attempted HTMLHelp, though it is right around the corner.
Our management has been murmuring about distributing documentation on a
CD-ROM, but no real plan for it yet. I think they are waiting for
me....sort of....to bring it to the table.

Waiting and watching,

Jane Bergen

On Tuesday, October 21, 1997 2:01 PM, Annalee Foster
[SMTP:scripta -at- gj -dot- net] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need the opinion of the experts...
>
> I have several large manuals in MS word and want to take our
> documentation online.
>
> Is it best to continue managing my large docs in Word and develop
online
> material from there, or to move all the docs to Frame and develop
online
> material from there.
>
> Also, can someone define for me on-line help versus on-line
> documentation? Or point me to a good source so I can educate myself?
>
> In case it is relevant, the field engineers who use the docs have
> laptops with Windows NT 4.0. I use Windows 95 primarily, but also
have
> Windows NT 4.0.
>
> Thanks.

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!