Re[2]: more on British v. American spelling.

Subject: Re[2]: more on British v. American spelling.
From: Ron D Rhodes <Ron_D_Rhodes -at- MAIL -dot- BANKONE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:27:13 -0400

E.T. Hull wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
If you were writing a technical document for an international
audience which spelling would you choose and why?

E.T.

I would choose the British spelling, AND style.

I don't really know if my decision is right. In addition, you
should know that I am not saying this to quell a heated British
response.

My decision is based solely on a historical perspective. Both
British and Americans have conquered and occupied entire nations.
But British world-influence started hundreds of years before
Americans liberated the colonies. Therefore, I am ASSUMING (a
dangerous thing to do on this list) that British spelling and style
is more widely accepted while American writing style is not.

Oh! What's that I see? Could it be an American calling me a Tory? :-)

I hope I don't catch a lot of heat from my fellow Americans, But I would
like to hear more discussion on this. I am really enjoying it.

Ron Rhodes
ron_d_rhodes -at- mail -dot- bankone -dot- com