Re: Need advice on promotion (kind of long)

Subject: Re: Need advice on promotion (kind of long)
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:10:52 -0700

At 08:57 AM 10/13/97 -0500, Jennifer wrote:

>SEcond...I received a promotion on Friday from lone Tech Writer to
>"Supervisor of Creative and technical services," or something of that
>
>So here are my questions:
>
>1. I get to pick my own title. I'm thinking "Publications
>Coordinator/Technical Writer". Any other suggestions?

I agree, your first description is good, but I agree with whoever suggested
calling yourself Manager, rather than Supervisor.

I vote for Manager of Creative Services. In any case, congratulations, and
good luck.

I wish I had something to offer about working with the graphic designers
and their different work styles, but I'm not sure what to say. I've been
in a similar position, where I supervised writers and graphic artists of
varying temperaments, and it was a challenge.

Mostly, I tried to see them as equals, with complementary skills and
responsibilities, and tried to have us work as a cohesive group of people
who were proud of what we could accomplish. It seemed to work pretty well,
but I must say that I'm glad I'm not a manager any more. It ended up being
too much stress for me, and I'm much happier being back in the trenches
writing and editing again.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
editrix -at- slip -dot- net / mjk -at- netcom -dot- com / mjk -at- synon -dot- com

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Rabbi Hillel