Re: Need advice on promotion (kind of long)

Subject: Re: Need advice on promotion (kind of long)
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:36:28 -0500

Jennifer,

A promotion? Good for you! (See, there *is* some justice in
the world! <g>)

>1. I get to pick my own title. I'm thinking "Publications
>Coordinator/Technical Writer". Any other suggestions?

The title you mentioned, slightly shortened, (Supervisor of
Creative Services)

>3. Any advice on handling the switch to a supervisory position,
>especially in terms of my relations w/ my graphics co-workers?
>My goal is to work w/them, not "above" them, to help make the
>whole doc creation process run more smoothly.

I was a tech writer/editor who got promoted to supervisor, and
found these Fred Pryor Seminars useful, especially the first one,
which deals with changing your mindset from a "doer" to a
"causer". (You can call Freddie at 1.800.255.6139):
-- Management Problems of the Technical Person
-- How to Manage Multiple Projects...
-- How to Supervise People

Best,
Joe