Word to HTML .Conversion Tools

Subject: Word to HTML .Conversion Tools
From: "Roz Ault, Information Technology, X 377" <AULT -at- FAXON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:22:48 -0400

Regarding Word to HTML Conversion tools:

I missed George's original query on this topic, and was away when he
posted the summary that I came across today while searching the
archives (see below). I think it's worth noting one tool that didn't
make his list: the shareware program rtftohtml. It's available at:

<http://www.sunpack.com/RTF/>

With this tool (versions for Mac, Win 3.1/95/NT, and Unix) any document
that can be saved to RTF can be converted to HTML -- and Word styles can
be mapped to HTML tags.

The user interface for setting up the style mappings is definitely on
the "geek" side, but once you have done this, the conversion is
brainless and fast - simply drag and drop a file or folder full of
files. You do need a separate utility to convert the graphics files to
gifs. (On the Mac, rtf will write out any embedded graphics to PICT,
and on Windows to WMF or BMP.) The rtftohtml documentation includes
suggestions for freeware utilities to do this graphics conversion.

I have been using rtftohtml for about three years, and find it an excellent
way to convert documents that I want to write once and make available both
in print and on the web.

It has a lot of nice little features, such as automatically creating a TOC
out of your headings, automatically naming and inserting links for
the graphics, making hypertext links for footnotes, etc.

On a related topic, the best Web authoring software by far, if you are
using a Macintosh and know a little HTML, is BBEdit. It doesn't muck with
your HTML, and has lots of built-in editing and checking tools.

Check out its "lite" version at:

<http://www.barebones.com>

- Roz Ault
ault -at- faxon -dot- com

Original message follows:

Two weeks ago I asked whether anyone had had luck converting MS
Word styles to HTML tags. I received responses from 13
listmembers who suggested the following tools:

HTML Transit (7 recommendations)
MS Word Save as HTML (2 recommendations)
FrontPage 97 (1 recommendation)
MS Internet Assistant for Word (1 recommendation)
WordtoWeb (1 recommendation)
TagWrite (1 recommendation)

From the comments I received, it looks like HTML Transit is the
clear winner. You can get further information InfoAccess's Web
site (http://www.infoaccess.com/products/transit/tp397.htm).

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)