Re: Technical Communication Terms

Subject: Re: Technical Communication Terms
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:55:17 -0400

my understanding, FWIW (in the order that we do them):

technical edit/review
------------------------
Developers/QA/tech support/product management make sure info in doc is
technically accurate. (Example: check syntax of code examples)

substantive edit
------------------------
Editor/peers check structure of information/quality of information.
(Example: evaluate book organization and usability)

copyedit/line edit/proofread
------------------------
Editor checks for grammar/spelling/usage mistakes. (Example: correct its
vs it's ;-)

copyfit
------------------------
Writer/production person preps files for printer. (Example: eliminate
strange page breaks)

proof
------------------------
Writer/production person checks blue lines from printer. (Example: make
sure no broken lines, smudges, PS problems)

Each task is critical. In larger shops, a different person might be
responsible for a task or part of a task. In smaller shops, one or two
people might be responsible for several tasks. Plenty of room for
flexibility.

A.
--
Alexia Prendergast