Re: HTML vs. ASP

Subject: Re: HTML vs. ASP
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:01:35 -0500

It's not just a difference of format, but of what it is. HTML is the
thing itself, ASP is a definition of how the server is to generate HTML.

When a server receives a request for an HTML, it sends the literal
contents of the HTML file. When a server receives a request for an ASP,
it processes the ASP and generates the specified HTML code, which it
sends to the client.

Put another way, the client never receives ASP code, always HTML.

HTML is a document, ASP is a program.

ASP can do lots of cool things, but you (as an author) need more control
over the server. ASP (like CGI) allows you to do "server-side"
processing.

Mike Huber
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com