Re: Independent contractor status (was Downside of contracting)

Subject: Re: Independent contractor status (was Downside of contracting)
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:39:44 -0500

In this vein, has anyone ever had to deal with the situation I'm now in?

I started a new job about 4 months ago. Before I left my old job, I
told them that I would be willing to finish/continue projects that I
had been working on there. Since then, I have done a number of small
projects as an independent contractor (evenings and weekends. working
at home) for the old job, while also a captive employee at my new job
(there is no conflict of interest here, as my new company and my old
company are not in competition). The pay for the projects I have done
as a contractor was not taxed.

Total IC hours for the year will probably total less than 60.

Has anyone else out there taken on projects as an independent
contractor while also a W-2 employee? How horribly complicated will
this be at tax time? You can e-mail me privately so as not to clutter
the list, and I will summarize for anyone who wants.

Thanks!

Nora
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com