Re: Using ragged right in technical publications

Subject: Re: Using ragged right in technical publications
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:23:43 -0400

Wow! I really ran Mike Dannenberg's bell with that CAL Technologies Ltd.
study! :-)

One study certainly does not Gospel make, as we all know. And they were
hardly an academic institution with, hey, credentials or anything. My point
was that there are theories, and then there are theories. If there were any
absolutes, the research arena would be a lot less crowded.

We've gone around all these circles many times before: which type face is
best, how many bullets, numbers or bullets, justified or ragged right, what
size type, blah blah blah.

I'll say it again: do what is right for your audience and your publication.

I guess I should have used more quotation marks and emphasis in the "study"
I quoted to show that the results were suspect, (or at least not widely
reproducible) but I didn't want to, um, scare anybody. ;-)

Cheers,
--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Fax: (905) 513-1419
Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com