Re: Using ragged right in technical publications

Subject: Re: Using ragged right in technical publications
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:51:25 -0400

A study done at a company I used to work for (CAL Technologies Ltd.) found
that ragged right was easier to read over right justified text because it
provided a "relief" factor for large blocks of text with complicated
content. This was especially true for people who were not employed in very
technical roles. It was also found that people who were continually
immersed in technology, such as developers and engineers, felt more
comfortable with justified and structured text when the content was more
touchy-feely. This gave them a security factor when they had to deal with
"wild" content. Technical "types" also preferred justified text for *any*
type of documentation.

Therefore, the "justified text is easier to read" vs. "ragged right text is
easier to read" seems to be situational. I haven't seen any other studies,
although it's probably a good topic for a research project.

I know that in the earlier days of word processing, justification was an
inexact procedure: one often ended up with "rivers", or strung out w o
r d s as the word processor tried to fit the text into the
available space. Today's generation of word processors and page layout
programs are much more adept at justifying text.

I think you have to do what is right for your audience and your
publication.

--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Fax: (905) 513-1419
Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com