Re: a simple question

Subject: Re: a simple question
From: John Wolf <jjwolf -at- SPRYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:26:50 -0700

Randi,

My view is always that it's my obligation to make the best of any document I
work on. After all, it's my work when I'm done. No one's going to know which
parts you wrote and which parts another writer wrote. Your name will be
associated with the poor writing. The paragraph is unclear, and clarity is our
goal.

You should be careful, though, because the client may not feel the rework is
within the scope of your efforts. That's up to the client. Still, go ahead and
point out the problems and suggest improvements. Then leave the decision to the
client. Sometimes I'll do a small sample on my own time and show the client the
difference. It's often hard for clients to visualize how dramatically
documentation can be improved. A sample helps. You won't get paid for the time,
but it may lead to more work and a better product.

I suggest you evaluate everything you do on in terms of the question: "Is this
work that I would be proud to have in my portfolio?" If not, try to raise the
client's standard to your own.

- John