Re: a simple question

Subject: Re: a simple question
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:01:30 -0500

> The situation: I'm currently working on a short-term contract basis
> converting a tutorial, manual, and various other documentation to
> on-line
> for a small start-up company.
>
> So far I have converted only the 24 page tutorial. The reason: There
> were
> so many punctuation, spelling, and formatting errors left by the other
> Tech Writer that I had to do a major clean-up job as I converted. And
> yes, I was given the final draft. (I can't wait to see the 150 page
> manual
> - yea.)
>
> I mentioned to the client that there were some small problems in the
> tutorial and I'd be happy to go into the original and clean them up.
> Well, that's what I'm doing right now. The problem is, that as I'm
> cleaning up the punctuation, spelling and formatting errors I'm also
> finding some pretty amazing grammatical errors.

<snip>

> If I'm not "just being picky" what would you all recommend I do about
> it?
> Do I tell the client? Do I tell the agent who placed us both here?
> Or do
> I just keep my mouth shut and not worry about it because it's not my
> problem....although essentially it is.
>
> Suggestions? Comments? Expert Advice?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Randi Figueredo

Randi;

If I've got this right, your task was to convert the documentation to
on-line. This would imply that it was an "as-is" conversion whereas
your task is to convert not correct grammar. When you pointed out that
there were some errors that you were 'happy' to clean up did you give
the employer the impression that there was minimal impact to your
schedule? If not, did you give the employer an impact statement and
then let them decide amongst some options. These options may be:

A) Change the timeline and scope of your work to allow you to correct
the grammar.

B) Change the timeline and scope of your work to allow you to make
grammatical changes that do not warrant a rewrite and have a minimum
impact on your primary task (converting the documents).

C) Delay your work until the documents could be rewritten (possibly
splitting your task into two contracts; rewriting and converting).

D) Just convert the documents "as is".

Without letting the employer decide which course to take you could open
yourself up for reactions such as, "Well it's been a month, are all the
files converted?", or "I thought the changes were minor. Why is it
taking so slow", or "I hired you to convert, period, not critique or
correct".

Mike Wing

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good"
-- Paul (1 TH 5:21)