Convention for Telephone Numbers?

Subject: Convention for Telephone Numbers?
From: John Lord <jlord -at- LIVINGSTON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:19:22 -0700

Our senior editor (Taffy Everts - mailto:taffy -at- livingston -dot- com) would be
very grateful for some help and advice on this topic from both the national
and international list members.

Our publications department is trying to come up with a consistent way of
formatting telephone numbers in the text of manuals, marketing
communications, and so on. We'd like to avoid the use of parentheses, if
possible, and we want a convention that we can use for international as
well as domestic telephone numbers.

We initially decided to use spaces between the groups of numbers because
European telephone numbers seem to do so:

+44 1344 200000
+1 510 555 1212
800 555 1212

However, one of our engineers who's slightly dyslexic has trouble reading
telephone numbers that don't show some kind of demarcation between groups.
We're not sure that he's typical of dyslexics because he's our only source
of information. Hyphens work for him, he says:

+44-1344-200000
+1-510-555-1212
800-555-1212

Periods are another possibility:

+44.1344.200000
+1.510.555.1212
800.555.1212

I'm not sure whether European numbers are ever shown separated by hyphens
or periods instead of spaces---I'm checking with someone in Europe about
this. I don't know about Asian, African, Middle Eastern, Pacific, or Latin
American telephone numbering conventions.

Has anyone determined a convention that works for all kinds of readers of
all kinds of telephone numbers? Any information on this subject would be
helpful!