Re: intranet features

Subject: Re: intranet features
From: John Posada <JOHN -dot- POSADA -at- EY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 13:55:22 -0400

My approach to intranets is different than internets.

Just like you don't make employees interesting just so people will look up
their phone number, intranets are for information more than entertainment
rather than an internet where information and entertainment on equal footing.

There is only a specific amount of resources that can be assigned to any one
project in a corporate environment, especially since an intranet is an internal
expense (though a valuable, necessary, required internal expense) that doesn't
have to compete with other intranets rather than an internet being a marketing
instrument that must compete with 50 million other internets. Therefore, if
I'm going to be stretched tight, what do I spend my resources on...cool
entertaining stuff or dry, streamlined, accurate, up-to-date details that helps
the company run efficiently with as little bandwidth overhead as possible. If
I'm going to go for cool stuff, I'll link to it rather than disperse it
throughout the site.

I don't "draw" people to the intranet. I already have a captive audience. Two
things will happen. They will continue to find the information they want and I
won't hear from the users, or the information will be old and outdated and they
will complain. However, where else can they go for the information?

John Posada
john -at- ey -dot- com

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU @ INTERNET
cc:

Sounds pretty boring so far. How about some computer-based training, a
friendly chat-type discussion of what departments do, pictures, phone
numbers, etc.

I agree to all that you have here, but you won't draw the users often
unless it's interesting as well.

Marilynne