Re: Charging Clients for Documentation

Subject: Re: Charging Clients for Documentation
From: Wohlrab Arleta - DRACS <wohlraba -at- BSCC -dot- BLS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:46:00 EDT

Carole,

When I've seen clients charge users for documentation, it's when they've
already provided the documentation online or on a web site. Even so, it
sometimes generates ill will between clients and users because the
documentation has traditionally been included in the price of the
product. There are lots of different ways of providing information these
days. Maybe you could survey your customer base?

Also, if you decide to go with online and printed documentation, be aware
that different organizational strategies are required for each. It's not
a good idea to assume that a printed guide can be converted to an online
guide without modifications (or vice versa).

Arleta Wohlrab
wohlraba -at- bscc -dot- bls -dot- com