Re: Frame 5.5 and HTML

Subject: Re: Frame 5.5 and HTML
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 07:16:15 -0500

At 04:39 PM 9/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>(Sorry if this has been asked before...I'm way behind in TechWhirl mail)
>
>Does anyone have actual experience using Frame 5.5 and
>producing documents in HTML format?
>How good is the conversion (i.e., how much manual HTML munging was required)?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Hanna (burnedbyWordandInternetAssistant)
>

>--
Boy, can I understand this question! You'd think that the conversion would
be a no-brainer. It's not. Not with any tool.

Adobe says that the HTML tool they send with Frame is good enough for the
purpose. And it is...just barely. And not for complex docs.

The two major elephants fighting for the Frame-to-HTML conversion business
are Quadralay WebWorks Publisher and Harlequin's WebMaker. I've used both,
but they change so rapidly that comparisons are almost meaningless. I'm just
barely partial to WebWorks, but they're both endlessly flexible,
programmable, and have good support. The setup for both can be long and
tedious, but once it's done there's no mucking about. They act as seamless
filters. In fact, you can automatically update entire websites automatically
after changing Frame documents. In short, good stuff. But be prepared to
learn each one's system, because they're quite different.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support