Re: Printing PDF Files

Subject: Re: Printing PDF Files
From: Dave Chisma & Gail Hodgson <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 19:04:27 +1000

Kathy Ellis wrote:

>> Am I correct in assuming that they will continue to get weird page breaks
> with .pdf files? Is there any way around this other than giving them paper
> docs that we have printed?

Dave Chisma wrote:

Yes and no.

Last year I converted our library of Word manuals to PDF (Acrobat 2.0)
and found unexpected page breaks to be a problem.

However, it wasn't much worse than sending a large print job to a
different printer that the one selected when creating the document. I
would have to select the PDF printer driver and go throught the document
to see if there were any problems. Sometimes I would have to 'cheat' by
temporarily making the pages work properly for the PDF driver.

This year I'm using FrameMaker 5.1.2 and Acrobat Distiller 3.0 and have
had no problems with page breaks.

Another thing that helps is to use only Postscript fonts in your
original document. PDF files are much cleaner and smaller with Type 1
fonts than with TT fonts.

Cheers, Dave Chisma
chisma -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au