Readability issue: need a cite.

Subject: Readability issue: need a cite.
From: "Amy E. Brown" <abrown -at- OPENMARKET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 18:13:25 -0400

Hi folks:

Our current doc template includes a style called "emphasis". When
applied, the style italicizes body text (Times New Roman, 11 or 12.)
Needless to say, the style is applied very sparingly.

Now, I recall hearing or reading that boldface is slightly preferable to
italics in terms of readability (both print and online). I've proposed
a change to the template in accordance with this. I'm getting an
argument from my manager about it and need some backup. I've been
searching my document-design and human factors material in vain.

Has anyone else heard this or anything similar to it, and if so, where?

Amy Brown
Open Market, Inc.
abrown -at- openmarket -dot- com