Re: Ellipsis button - what is it called?

Subject: Re: Ellipsis button - what is it called?
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:50:00 -0700

From: Kelly, Sean R.
> I'm trying to reference an ellipsis button (...) in our software. I
> can't seem to find out the official name for a button that just requires
> additional information. Any ideas?

The ever-popular Microsoft Manual of Style calls them command buttons,
just like any other button. And it also says you should not use the
ellipsis when referring to the button name. For example:

Incorrect: Click the Options ... button.
Incorrect: Click the Options button.
Correct: Click Options.

Hope this helps!