Re: Writing a proposal for going online

Subject: Re: Writing a proposal for going online
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:53:27 GMT

In article <69D52D4F95ABD01182B2006097379C72112956 -at- ASI_NT_PRO>, "Bergen, Jane"
<janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com> writes:
|> I'm currently writing a proposal to my manager (at his request...he will
|> then pass it up the food chain..) for us to provide online documentation
|> (CD-ROM) in addition to online help.

[...]

|> Has anyone written proposals like this? Or perhaps seen articles
|> addressing the subject?

[...]

Not directly, but I attended a paper at SGML96 last year discussing how
to develop a document justifying the move to SGML. It's in the
proceedings. "Cost Justifying Your SGML Project", by Norma Haakonstad
from Arbortext.

The article contains some very good guidelines for develop a cost
justification, regardless of what you are trying to cost-justify. Norma
made the point that a document like this is, first and foremost, a
marketing piece - you are trying to sell an idea. The cost justification
methods she suggested ring true no matter what you are trying to sell
based on cost savings.

Email me if you are interested, and I'll send you the whole citation.
The proceedings aren't cheap, so you may want to see if someone where
you work can loan you a copy. ;-)
--
Len O. May the farce be with you.
saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com - Old Irish Toast