Tech Writers As Trainers

Subject: Tech Writers As Trainers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 21:29:29 -0400

Kathy Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM> wrote:

>So when I am approached about writing these training >materials, I want to also suggest I assist with the training. >Is this so unusual? How many of your techwhirlers are involved >in training?

Kathy:

Last year, when I was switching careers from academia to technical
writing, I had to find a way to make my teaching experience look
relevant on my resume.

What I finally came up with was this: both teaching and writing
documentation are ways of delivering information to people. Only the
medium is different.

It strikes me that you could use the same argument in reverse. That is,
in effect, you are already writing instructional material, so the new
field isn't a stretch.

In fact, if you've ever done a tutorial, you've already done stuff very
close to what you want to do.
--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189

"It's fifteen miles till sunset
Whichever path I choose,
Fifteen miles and all my life to go.
And the world always turns to evening,