Re: Microsoft Publish

Subject: Re: Microsoft Publish
From: Gila Jones <majones -at- EXO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 10:11:13 -0700

Marie Paretti wrote:

> Has anyone on this list every used (or tried to use) Microsoft
> Publisher?

I use it regularly for laying out a newsletter that's 10 pages long (or less),
and occasionally other projects that I think are more suitable for
DTP than WP.

I'm in the process of evaluating our current
> documentation tools, and because of all the discussions on this list
> I'm leaning toward Frame, but there's this thing on my desktop
> called Publisher that I've never heard mentioned on this list.

Publisher has been mentioned a few times before, but there are a
handful of people who speak disdainfully about it. I rather think
the disparaging remarks made about it on-list tend to shut off
discussion.

> Before I go around ordering new toys, I thought I'd investigate the
> ones I've got a little bit more. But, since it's an MS product, I'm
> wondering how it handles long documents, etc. etc.

I can't say how it handles long documents because I haven't used it
for that. I can answer other questions though. Also, there is a
newsgroup in the Microsoft hierarchy that discusses Publisher -- I
don't know the name of the group, but you can probably find it with
Deja News.

I am completely satisfied with Publisher, but the actual reason I
use it is 1) my sister works for Microsoft so I can get it for
practically nothing and 2) even at retail it doesn't cost much.

Gila Jones --- majones -at- exo -dot- com