Re: Single source print & vanilla HTML creation

Subject: Re: Single source print & vanilla HTML creation
From: Carla Martinek <martinek -at- CIG -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:04:27 -0500

Eric Thomas <eathomas -at- DBITS -dot- COM> wrote:

> I'm currently developing user documentation that will be available both in
> print and HTML format. I want to be able to flag some of the source
> material to only go to the print version, some to go to only the HTML
> version, and some to both. We don't plan on doing any WinHelp or MS HTML
> Help versions right now, just print and plain-old-HTML that can be read
> from a browser such as Navigator or Explorer. Does anyone out there know
> of a product for PC that can do this, and do it well?

Eric:

My personal suggestion would be to use FrameMaker. Frame offers
conditional text, which allows you to create single source documents for
just this type of occurance. Their implementation of this feature is
extremely easy to use. The new version (5.5) also offers HTML
conversion capabilities.

Adobe was just in speaking with our writing group last week, and the
following excerpt is from their 5.5 release info:

HTML Authoring and Export -- Both FrameMaker and FrameMaker+SGML
documents can be saved to one or more HTML files, including support for
Cascading Style Sheets, hypertext and URL links, automatic conversion
of graphics and images to GIF, JPEG or PNG, image maps, tables, and
document splitting, allowing FrameMaker documents to be easily
published on the Web.

Regards,
Carla Martinek martinek -at- cig -dot- mot -dot- com